Friday, August 7, 2015

Design Floor Friday - Giving Liberty

You may remember that I was recently the beneficiary of a lovely array of some yummy Liberty of London fabric scraps.  I blogged about it in THIS POST and now I've made a lovey from ten of these sweet prints:


Instead of a single fabric on the front and another on the back, as suggested by Rachel of Stitched In Color in her Making Loveys post, I made a bordered 9-Patch Block for the front (so it turned out a little smaller than the recommended size, which I modeled after Lee's 12" x 12" lovey)...


And used a flannel on the back, instead of the recommended quilting cotton (fortunately, I took this photo BEFORE spilling coffee on my nearly completed project.  Ugh!!):


The flannel for the back of the lovey, as well as the binding fabric (shown in the action shot below), has been in my stash for a VERY long time.  I'm talking MORE THAN 10 YEARS here!  The Austerity Quilters will approve of my stash diving expedition:


Instead of the customary "apply to the BACK and attach to the FRONT with the machine", you can plainly see that I opted for creating some handwork for myself:


I used some scraps, but STILL have scraps remaining (shown at right of the photo below):


With the binding attached, it was time to choose thread for stitching it down:


Should it be medium?


Should it be dark??


Or should it be light???


It only took a little while to sew down the binding by hand:


But, next time, I will sew it down by machine:


Baby M was asleep when I delivered her gift:


And I still couldn't manage to get a "perfect" shot of the lovey in action:



I think Richard and Sam(antha) appreciated the tie to their English roots.  Hopefully, baby M will like the lovey, too!

Until next time...
Give joyfully!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.